YWCA Christchurch Inc
• Was established in 1883
The purpose of the YWCA Christchurch Inc. works for individual and community change by empowering women, especially young women to enhance their spiritual, physical, mental and cultural well-being.
It acknowledges our Christian and women’s heritage and commits to Te Tiriti O Waitangi and to addressing all forms of oppression, so that together women may attain social and economic justice.
• Is proactive in working with young women encouraging of their education and development opportunities, personal and sexual safety and the positive motivation to work for the well being of their communities
• Is registered as a charitable entity under the Charities Commission
• Provider of CYFS approved community services
The Christchurch YWCA, because it is affiliated through the YWCA of Aotearoa New Zealand to the World YWCA, is a small part of a global women’s volunteer movement working with more than 25 million women and girls in over 122 countries.
YWCA Christchurch programmes and projects
• Education and Training for women and men at risk of becoming, long term unemployed.
• Safe Supported accommodation for emergency and transitional accommodation for women and women with children on low incomes seeking active intervention or support to make changes in their circumstances – 285 Hereford St.
Based on Christian values, but open to women of all faiths, based in local communities but linked nationally, regionally and globally the World YWCA, of which we are a part, is uniquely placed to reach women and girls across the world.
YWCA’s have a programmatic priority for youth (children, girls and young women), which helps ensure that younger members of society are included in decision-making and planning. The YWCA programmes promote a philosophy that teaches change and transformation through organized networks working together within the non-profit and volunteer structures.
To find out more about our programmes and services please contact our office.